Wednesday 17 July 2013

Overlapping Features in Orchard CMS

I was working on an Orchard website and installed the Vandelay FavIcon Module. A few days later I decided to install the Vandelay Industries Module that contained a while bunch of Vandelay modules including the FavIcon feature.

This broke my site with a 404 File not found error. Having a look at the error logs I found the following "Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost - A tenant could not be started: Default
System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added."

Obviously it was having trouble with two features of the same name. Another problem I had is that the site was on a shared hosting environment and all I could do at this point was access the site's folder via FTP.

So here's how to disable the features manually:
In the App_Data folder there is a cache.dat file. This file contains XML data about active features. I simply removed the Vandelay.FavIcon entry and the site came back online.

Just a warning though, modifying this file could have side effects, but at least it fixed my site for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment